Video footage from the from the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport showing the moment shooter Esteban Santiago opened fire on Friday, ultimately killing five innocent men and women, was obtained and released this weekend by TMZ.
What the footage depicted was chilling, to say the least: “As coolly as one might check a cell phone for messages, he [the suspect] pulls a handgun from his waistband and begins firing, then quickly runs off camera,” CNN reported.
Meanwhile, several elderly men and women behind Santiago attempted to take cover by either diving face-first to the ground or ducking behind objects.
The footage may be seen below, though as a warning, it contains HIGHLY DISTURBING content:
How exactly TMZ obtained the chilling footage remained unknown, though according to the Sun-Sentinel, airport officials, along with federal and local authorities, had begun investigating the “leak” and suspected that it was from a cell phone, versus a security camera.
“Nobody gives TMZ a video for free,” Broward Mayor Barbara Sharief noted, her concern being that whoever provided the video to TMZ did so for profit.
That someone allegedly tried to profit off the deaths of five people was sick, though it was not as sick as the suspect himself. The calm he displayed as he pulled out his gun and then reportedly aimed for people’s heads, according to the criminal complaint later filed against him, suggested that his aunt Maria Ruiz Rivera had been on target when she told reporters, “His mind was not right.”
“He seemed normal at times, but other times he seemed lost,” she said regarding the way Santiago’s behavior changed after he reportedly returned from a 10-month tour in Iraq. “He talked about all the destruction and the killing of children. He had visions all the time.”
But this Alaska resident was far more than just lost. He was disturbed to the max, evident by his past history of violence, a less-than-honorable discharge from military service, allegations of child pornography, a violation of a restraining order, an eviction, and a descent into psychosis that he actually admitted to the FBI only two months ago.
Some would argue that this man should have been locked up in a mental institution of some type, not running free to cause mayhem among innocent people.
Please share this story on Facebook and Twitter and let us know what you think about this chilling footage from the moment shooter Esteban Santiago opened fire on Friday!